Friday, March 8, 2013

EDUCATION REFINES TALENT - OYEDEPO ELIJAH









WHAT IS YOUR NAME?
My name is Oyedepo Elijah Oluwaseun, 300 Level English Education, University of Ilorin

YOU’VE SPOTTED ON CAMPUS AND AT SEVERAL EVENTS PLAYING INSTRUMENT ESPECIALLY DRUMMING. WHAT’S THE PASSION FOR DRUMMING ABOUT?
Drumming has been part of me since my early days as a child. I grew up to discover drumming as a God giving talent. I love drums. I develop a major interest in percussions and I discover it to be more fantastic. I feel so good and comfortable anytime am with the drum sticks. It’s an inspiration. I get my own inspiration from drumming just like a writer gets inspiration from his pen. I am the custodian of the stick just like the pastor is the custodian of the bible and the alfa for the Quran. 

YOU’VE BEEN CHRISTENED AS STICK. HOW DID YOU COME ABOUT THIS?
The name ‘stick’ was given to me by my very good friends. The secret behind this is that am always with my drum sticks. I keep them in my bags while going to school. When my friends discovered this they gave me the name Ej- Stick. It means Elijah Stick but later on the Elijah was removed and now I bear Stick as a nickname.

WHAT IS YOUR ASSESSMENT OF CAMPUS FELLOWSHIP IN UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN?
Campus Fellowship in University of Ilorin has been doing well. I believe the right things are been done by the various fellowships on campus. I don’t attend all but at least to a reasonable mind, they all doing well. I attend my own fellowship frequently and I know the right things are been done.  Since fellowship is like calling people to be closer to God, I do not see any reasons why some fellowships should discriminate on the basis of parish. This is an important area that I want all parishes to check and correct. I have heard several stories of people not wanting to attend a particular fellowship on the basis that there members are more attended to than the others. It is one love and that is the essence of Campus fellowship.

SCHOOL ACTIVITIES AND YOUR TALENT. HOW DO YOU COPE?
I want you to know that no matter how talented you might be, you need education to refine such talent. I take my studies very important. I plan and i don’t get distracted by encomiums that I receive from people through my ability. I play for lots of people but whenever the schedules are going to affect a class or an assignment I go for the priority. My Monday to Friday is for my school and my weekends for music and drums. I have always known that the world out there is not smiling. You need to back your talent up with a certificate. It is not just a certificate but a good one. Nobody is interested in your talent when you don’t have a good education. The talent would just be a waste. I prioritize a lot. 

ADVICE TO FELLOW STUDENTS
To everyone out there, please discover yourself. If you do that, the sky is your starting point. Don’t try to be like someone else rather try to know what makes the person. I always believe that it is good to keep away from people who try to belittle your dreams. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great.

1 comment:

  1. waoh this is really good keep it up the sky is your starting point

    ReplyDelete